Joy in the Midst of Sorrow: Las Vegas
Just yesterday I tossed the football with the guys in my family, sun peeking through the trees at dusk – my favorite time of evening. We had just stood statue-still during family pictures, so you can imagine the storehouses of pent-up energy we were waiting to let loose. After a couple of run-ins with a chubby pine tree and a few belly flops in the grass, we ended the night in side-splitting laughter.
How strange, then, to go to sleep with joy and wake up to sorrow with the news of Las Vegas this morning.
Joy to sorrow; sorrow back to joy. Our lives ebb and flow with this pattern, and every time it does, it shocks us. I think John Piper sums it up with his words about this strange balance:
As we bow our heads in prayer for our brothers and sisters in Las Vegas, let us ask for two things:
That our hearts grieve with them as they mourn their losses, and that our hearts rejoice in the infinite hope of a Savior who has overcome the dark valleys of this world.
*If you know someone in the middle of this crisis that needs help, here are some resources*
Families trying to locate missing loved ones can call 1-866-535-5654. If you have photos or videos from the shooting, you can call 1-800-255-5324. And if you’d like to donate blood to the injured victims, you can visit the Labor Health & Welfare Clinic.
- How to Listen to 104.9 the River with Alexa - January 13, 2018
- Mary’s Easy Potato Soup - January 10, 2018
- Christmas Morning Muffins - December 18, 2017
- Mary Opens Up - November 17, 2017
- 10 Tips for Dealing with Family - November 13, 2017
- Cranberry Oat Bars Recipe - October 17, 2017
- Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookie Recipe - October 17, 2017
- Three Cozy Oat Recipes - October 17, 2017
- Oat & Peanut Butter Protein Balls Recipe - October 17, 2017
- Joy in the Midst of Sorrow: Las Vegas - October 2, 2017
Leave a Comment